It Will Always Be Yours
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Doodles of a Dreamer; AKA Bad Direwolf Mutt's GoT Art
Topic Started: Jul 13 2016, 06:09 AM (2,123 Views)
Bad Direwolf Mutt
Member Avatar
Kingslayer
This is my deviantart account--------> http://fictional-reality-me.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=/

But you can also find some of my stuff on tumblr------> http://weirddreamergirl.tumblr.com/ <------- because sometimes I'm too lazy to tag (but my art is usually tagged under "myart" or "my art") so my tumblr is a mess but I sometimes first post in tumblr now and forget to post on DA. :P

So for this first post, I will show you my first JB fanart (but not my first GoT fanart)

I give you, Ser Brienne and Princess Jaime

Posted Image

Because idk Jaime is such a diva? I couldn't find pictures of Jaime in a dress okay and I kinda wanted to see him in one. XD This could be modern!AU or maybe Jaime got drunk and stole Cersei's dress to spite her? idk XD
offline profile quote Top

Bad Direwolf Mutt
Member Avatar
Kingslayer
So for my first GoT fanart (not sure if it exactly counts as GoT but well)

Jack Gleeson

Posted Image

Sorry if my first photos have bad quality. I use my crappy phone (still do actually) and didn't know how to photo edit to make them brighter.

Anyways, my best friend liked Jack Gleeson a lot so I drew this for her. This is actually my favorite realism thing I did. Like ugh I'm so proud. I experimented with only using yellow, blue and pink ballpoint and coloring pencils and I'm so proud ;u; (sadly I wasted it on Joff hahah jk I love my best friend)

Also, THEY EYES ARE JUST SO <3 <3

Posted Image

I don't know how I'll ever recreate a masterpiece like this tbh XD

Bad Direwolf Mutt
Member Avatar
Kingslayer
Oathkeeper Bookmark

Posted Image

Need I say more? XD I actually got it laminated already and then the plastic started to come off some months later because it was originally just a doodle on my notebook but I finished it cause I'm trash and it's bigger than my hand actually (so basically I YOLO'd this) and it bent in awkward ways that pried the plastic apart so I tried ironing it because I'm stupid and now it's ruined OTL Like it's still pretty but the plastic is kinda melted now WHYYY *cryin emoji*

Bad Direwolf Mutt
Member Avatar
Kingslayer
Arya of House Stark

Posted Image

Before the JB mess, I'm an uber Stark sympathizer. (Bec yes, out of all the Houses, I consider myself a Stark with a Targaryen mother) I still do in fact. And Arya is my baby because I love her rough tomboyish ways and I wanna fight and not get married (I was so happy to have learned the term spinster as a nine-year-old so you can see why I see myself in Arya). Though oddly, I ship her with Gendry, and they were supposed to be my OTP originally lol. I'm a wild, gentle soul who wants love for everyone else okay? Sorry, I'm rambly XD

It's not my best and I wanted it to be more book!Arya than show!Arya but well.. :P I also was an avid otaku in my youth and the anime style just never left me. Also, I don't know how to color anything that isn't a face or half body so alfniefneofnweofnef I have nice vision but terrible presentations. lol Also, I have bad handwriting XD

WackyGoofball
Member Avatar
Blonde Enough
Those are awesome! :)
online profile quote Top

Bad Direwolf Mutt
Member Avatar
Kingslayer
Thanks Wacky!~ ^_^

Lol! I haven't even finished posting yet cause my laptop overheated again XD

Bad Direwolf Mutt
Member Avatar
Kingslayer
But We are Not Men

Posted Image

I was experimenting with monochrome with splashes of color and all I can say is.. I love the roughness of Arya? XD When will I ever draw my Starks with justice hahahhaha

Bad Direwolf Mutt
Member Avatar
Kingslayer
A Riverrun Reunion [Version 1]

Posted Image

Because I was freaking out in the beginning of Season 06 that Lannincest hadn't broken up XD Also we took a lot of trips to the waterfall that time so thought I'd try drawing a river? I love drawing detailed kawaii chibis. They're my specialty. :3

Bad Direwolf Mutt
Member Avatar
Kingslayer
Daenerys Targaryen

Posted Image

Because #feminism ? lel. I was too lazy to find the coloring pencils so I did the right side in pure pen. Then I found them the following day and redid it hahahahhaha. I prefer the facial structures in the left one while I prefer the coloring on the right one.

Bad Direwolf Mutt
Member Avatar
Kingslayer
Leaf

Posted Image

I really liked the picture of this so I *tried* to do this. XD At least the colors are pretty even though I see and evilbranch!Sansa XD

Bad Direwolf Mutt
Member Avatar
Kingslayer
Redemption

Posted Image

I'm gonna get really rambly because this is one of those symbolism art things that seemed awesome in my head but I don't know how to paint XD

Jaime is obviously the figure. The black to red background is his past actions, his darkness. You can see the wildfire hand which is Cersei/Aerys that clutched him and imprisoned him. His figure there is dirty and his cloak is shredded.

But you can see him escape that wildfire hand cage.

His stump is reaching out to the blue light that is coming from Oathkeeper. His golden hand is tossed away into the wildfire. The blue background was meant to be water but idk how to water. It is pulling him out of his past and making him white and glowing again-his white cloak mended.

Honestly, this is better in my head... as a painting.. but YOLO XD

Bad Direwolf Mutt
Member Avatar
Kingslayer
A Riverrun Reunion (Ver 2)

Posted Image

The hiatus was getting to me. XD And also because blackout (again) *whispers*heart eyes, motherfucker. I also just discovered you guys got that line from Gwendoline Christie XD

Bad Direwolf Mutt
Member Avatar
Kingslayer
Based on my fanfic: Art Paper Snippets of a Child's Collage ---> http://archiveofourown.org/works/7376617

Daycare!AU Modern Westeros with the preschoolers doing short scenes during Dany's Conquest.

A six-year-old Jaime Lannister as Ser Goldenhand *coughhimselfcough*
A six-year-old Brienne Tarth as Lady Blue Knight *coughherselfcough*
A six-year old Straight-legged Gingerbeard Giantsbane as the Bear

From Tales of Ser Goldenhand and Lady Blue Knight: A Bear and the Maiden Fair

Posted Image
Posted Image

Bonus: Cersei Lannister as [the star of the show] Daenerys Targaryen and her cardboard box Drogon.

Posted Image
Edited by Bad Direwolf Mutt, Jul 13 2016, 08:39 AM.

Bad Direwolf Mutt
Member Avatar
Kingslayer
Not sure if this counts as a GoT fanart but this is based on my ASoIaF X THG Crossover Fic, Sapphire and Steel ------> http://archiveofourown.org/works/5726803/chapters/13194850 because Hayffie is also my OTP. XD (If they made this ship canon in the movies, I sincerely hope that the ship gods will also bless JB the same way in both books and show. lol)

Posted Image

Haymitch Stark, eldest son of Jon and Sansa (bec why not XD) and Euphemia (Effie) Lannister, second child and eldest daughter of Jaime and Brienne (bec hellsyeah she fits the fanon's physical description XD)

I also suck at costume designing and this was a product of blackout boredom so no references or anything XD

Bad Direwolf Mutt
Member Avatar
Kingslayer
I think this is it so far. XD

I'll probably post more when I actually did more GoT fanart. lol Would like some tips from you guys. My medium is colored ballpoint pens and colored pencils most of the time.

I also do black and white pencil but haven't done those in a while.

Mikki
Member Avatar
Overlord
Lovely...I have no tips for you though :)
online profile quote Top

justme
Member Avatar
Glittering Unicorn Steed
These are great! Wow, we have so many people talented with painting and drawing! :)
I love the chibis in particular, so cute! They kinda remind me of the funko pops.
I'm afraid I can offer no tips either though. Everything I draw looks like stickmen in mud or something like that :D

WackyGoofball
Member Avatar
Blonde Enough
Seriously, those are all so lovely.

Hm, I don't know if I can be of any help with advices and the like. First, the question is what you'd like to get advice for. So if you have something specific, you are free to list it, it MIGHT be that I know something about it. Though I am by NO means an expert for much of anything. Most of the stuff I do is self-taught over years and years of smudging in my notebooks and drawing pads.

But... to give some sort of input (make of that what you want - might be I am just pointing out the obvious here, for which I apologize in advance):

One thing I always recommend is these little suckers:

Posted Image

Estompes are your best friends if you want to have smooth lines and blur e.g. pencil or colored pencils. Then you don't have to do finger-smudging which will always give you unsatisfactory results. You can sharpen them, they come in different sizes and are not too expensive.

Oh yeah, and don't laugh and don't you dare stare at me, but if you want to have a *really* broad sort of blur (for a sky or so, where you need to cover big areas and it's supposed to be very soft) my best weapon's an (obviously un-used) tampon. You just rub it on the paper till it's spread out and then you can smudge colors and pencil very easily.

You are really good at shadows and shading, so I don't know how I am supposed to give you advice on the matter.

If you are looking for templates to use for body postures (I sometimes struggle with that, so I found that soooooo useful), tumblr is your best friend. Not only do they offer free to use real-life poses by models that you can use for more realistic drawings, but there is also the wonderful tumblr page "inspiredbyposeref" where you get realistically drawn but still awesome for OC-characters or comic book characters in all different kind of poses for free. You can just take them, change them, or... not. This thing has been a huge help for me to get a better anatomy-understanding. In general, deviantart and tumblr offer a huge mass of references and tutorials that are so worth it to look into.

Btw, I totes magotes love the costume designs. ;) When I do my paperdoll clothes (which reminds me I haven't done one in AGES), I also like to just type in e.g. "medieval costumes" into google or so to get inspiration, especially because you can profit from seeing how the things fit to the body, how the folds are, how things are layered, where there are wrinkles, etc.

Oh yeah, and have you considered watercolor-pencils? Those can give you some fantastic effects. Though to my shame, I can't offer much in the field other than that I find them neat. My BFF gave me a big pack for my birthday, but I am still working my way through with these, since watercolor can be tricky. But yeah, they *can* be cool.

Well, that's what I can say... more or less with certainty in terms of advice. Hopefully there's something you consider useful. ;)
online profile quote Top

Mikki
Member Avatar
Overlord
Tampons are so useful! (see http://www.tamponcrafts.com/angel.html)
online profile quote Top

Bad Direwolf Mutt
Member Avatar
Kingslayer
@mikki: Thank you ^_^
@justme: I had an anime phase when I was younger (Still watch sometimes even now) and the art style just never left me.. especially chibis. Literally all my happiness is always drawn in chibis. MY CUTE LITTLE 2D FUNKO POPS

@wacky: Oh em gee thanks for these tips :P
I did buy estompes (lol I called them smudge sticks) before because my art teacher in high school recommended it. I kinda lose them. XD I'll keep this in mind again when I do black and white with pencil again. (only God knows if I have the time these days *sigh*)
I'm sorry I did laugh XD But then I was intrigued. Sadly I'm not really sure where to buy a tampon because no one here uses tampons except swimmers (and tampons are kinda horrifying o..o ). Is there a substitute perhaps? And what kind of medium did you use it on? Particularly with the medium you used it in colors.
Well, I'm not sure how to do different textures. Like metal or whatever. I just really can't replicate it. I'm not sure how to do dramatic lighting (say underlighting or maybe when the face is in the firelight) either... and backgrounds. God help me but I need to learn to draw backgrounds. Ironic coming from an architecture student *brings out shame bell*
I'll check out that pose reference tumblr page when I have a project in mine. TBH when I drew that JB crossdressing thing in the first thing I had about 3 references for that. From the pose to the dress even. hahahaha
Literally I've been looking at tutorials for as long as I can remember and I'm still like.. how do you do folds and creases? But thank you though XD
I do have watercolor pencils. I've had them for six years (I'm so proud to have kept something for that long. I'm the type who loses her crayons and pencils after a month) and I found my brother's set (we both had the same set given by my uncle) in a fresher condition than mine (because I LOVE DRAWING and someone kept his somewhere and we just randomly found his). I used to wet the watercolors after applying but I haven't done that in ages either.
Do you know how to do symbolism painting thing? :P

WackyGoofball
Member Avatar
Blonde Enough
Haha, I am glad that something seemed to be useful from my advice rambling. As I said, no expert here.

Estompes or smudge sticks are really neat - you can find them online. I also had luck in those 1-dollar-shops or so, sometimes they are included in packages where you also get charcoal or so. Actually, that's how I first stumbled over them (my art teacher was not smart enough to ever recommend me these *waves fist in the air*).

Haha, yeah, the tampons. I laugh every time I say to someone that I used them for a particular drawing. Well, I can't say where to get them - I don't know for the Philippines. Again, I guess you can order even these online. But yeah, i can't help much on the matter otherwise. Substitutes... well, what I find neat about tampons is that they actually have a crayon shape (I am digging the hole pretty deep for tampon jokes, I know) - that makes it easier to smudge with them. But you can use cotton wool or I guess even sanitary pads, though then I'd rather go with the cotton wool. You just take a... chunk and then just smudge. Problem is you get the pencil all over your hand and fingers then, which is why I prefer tampons in that context. You don't have so much... smudge on the fingers... seriously... the tampon trap is snapping shut here for me. But whatevs. I mean, you can help a bit if you roll the cotton between your hands a bit (if it's this synthetic stuff and not the actual cotton wool, then that's even better in my experience) so that you get a bit of a crayon shape. Or you roll a tissue around it. Oh yeah, you can also use tissues, though those are... thin. So you don't have fun for long.

Medium I use them on? I use normal paper, if that's what you mean. I now have a pad of fancy paper, but I save those up for my marker-drawings. I usually use the paper you stuff in the printer, LOL. With the colore pencils it depnds on how *smudge-able* they are. I know some pretty much stay as they are, so you won't have luck with tampons, pads, cotton swabs or whatever else, but if they are smudge-able, you can use it for a bit of a fading-out effect... moment....

Posted Image

Sorry, don't want to trash your thread with my stuff back from high school, but that's the only one I could dig up from my folder right now where I used estompes to fade colors - in the skirt and the shoes. Problem was that I apparently used the *wrong*, not very smudgy pencils for that. Again, that was usual paper as you use it for printers or for making copies. I suppose for maximum effect, you wanna go with papers that have a rougher texture, though. But I find those tricky at times because they *absorb* the color and may fringe a lot easier than the paper I usually use. I hope that somehow serves as an answer to your question. :blink:

I struggle with lighting myself oftentimes. What I realized is that with metal, you have to go *all the way* to make it look vivid. Sorry, I seriously keep trashing your wonderful thread here, but I found that I did okay here on Brie's armor and the swords - and I can better explain if I have an object to refer to.

Posted Image

And that's because I created bright white areas - especially with the swords, white light can come to replace the black outline when the light source directly shines down on it. I also find it easier at times to create *dark space* around it so that the armor shines more. That makes it easier to bypass the simple edge or to make it a light edge that you can see (if the background's light in color, you may have trouble with the contrast). Which makes erasers your best friend the same way.

But yeah, textures are pains in the ass. What I sometimes like to do is to put my drawing over something that *has* a texture (a textbook with a rougher back or so) and then *smudge* (not draw) over it. Then the texture is added to your drawing without much effort and in a kinda smooth way.

Oh gods, backgrounds are BITCHES. I am such a sucker that I often just draw... a line and am like "see, here's the horizon. Rest doesn't matter". I have more fun doing background once I work on the computer, because then I don't have to worry about it beforehand and can just add it once I am done with the figures I want to have for the front. So yeah GIMP is definitely a dear friend of mine now. Sometimes I cheat and just draw part of the background and just *fade out*. Then I can leave the rest as it is, LOL. I am lazy. Well, I don't know how familiar you are with the computer, but what I think might help is that if you have e.g. gimp of photoshop, you can put in *things* like trees and create a collage or so and adjust the sizes to how you need them and then sort of trace that for your background - but I don't do that too often, I admit. I like doing caves. They are kind of easy. You just use the han you usually wouldn't use (like, I am a lefty, so I use the right hand for that) and then draw some edgy lines, add some more lines and am done with some shading. Caves are NICE. But... not always favored for a background, LOL. Well yeah, in the end, I often google e.g. rooms so that I get a basic idea and then maybe just hint at certain aspects (like a chandelier or the corners of a wall) to add some sort of depth to the picture. But that's all I have to offer.

Haha, same with the tutorials. Sometimes I manage to do it as they say... then I try it on my own and I am like "how do I even hold a pen, yo?"

I am not sure what you mean by symbolism paintings. Like... how to insert a motif into a drawing (like roses for Brienne or so) or do you mean house sigils?

online profile quote Top

Bad Direwolf Mutt
Member Avatar
Kingslayer
I remember trying to use cotton buds instead of smudge sticks XD I thought I'd try it out on pencil but idk if it looks better than the smudge stick XD

Cotton wool huh.. those things you use for facial toners? I use them actually. My cousin taught me to blend oil pastels using cotton buds for small areas or cotton wool for greater areas, that's wet with slight baby oil. XD And I use the same things with pencil works (except for the baby oil of course). Not really sure where I'll find tampons but I guess cotton wool is fine.

What I meant by medium is what do you use it on is the coloring material, aside from monochromatic pencil drawings. I don't think you can smudge colored pencils. At least the ones I own I can't smudge with cotton wool. My friend taught me to use white to blend but I'm aggressive and I sometimes end up regretting too much white because I feel like I'm not satisfied with the color and now it's hard to change because I blended it XD

Eh. Your old work is fine. XD They look better than mine back then.

Oh I see. I tend to have rough aggressive strokes so sometimes erasers won't save me but thanks for that. I'll try.

Hahah nice texture cheat XDXDXDXD

True. I use photoshop. Everyone I know who does digital art uses gimp and I don't really know why I never bothered downloading that program XD But you're right about backgrounds a lot more fun in digital art. I did really good sunset paintings in photoshop because it's easier to splash color in. I just never learned to have a sort of unity between my background and foreground if I decide to do both. It's really tough for me.

Literally I copy what they do and come out decent but when I practice without help I'm like, "what is line?"

I suppose having a unified feel with the background and foreground is my biggest problem. Like not making them look like different pieces stacked on top of each other.

Vox
Member Avatar
Ser Cleos
I love your drawings, Bad Direwolf Mutt! Especially the chibis. I had a major love for the anime art style when I was younger and adore comic books to this day.

Have you ever tried Prismacolor colorless blender pencil? I used those all the time back when I used colored pencils before I went to markers and then eventually digital. I liked those a lot more them using a white pencil, it didn't wash out the colors.

Bad Direwolf Mutt
Member Avatar
Kingslayer
So many art materials we don't have available... or I'm too broke to buy hahahaha.

Bad Direwolf Mutt
Member Avatar
Kingslayer
CERBURN and their Baby Mountain

Posted Image

For some reason my friend is obsessed with Cersei and Qyburn and I drew this for her. XD I always read Season 5, Episode 10 as "Daddy!Qyburn Feels" but whale I have a weakness for any sort of shipper feels that aren't against my OTP XDXDXD I used to be FrankengregorXCersei but I now see that he is Cersei and Qyburn's child. HAHAHAHAHAHHA!

You can also see a tiny Jaime who is so done with everything.

P.S. Cerburn was stolen from someone who reblogged my drawing on tumblr hahahaha

justme
Member Avatar
Glittering Unicorn Steed
Awesome! Cerburn having practically stars in their eyes and Jaime in the background...
"I'm coming Brienne...like coming" :D

Bad Direwolf Mutt
Member Avatar
Kingslayer
OOOHHH I FORGOT TO POINT OUT THAT I DREW CERSEI WITH WILDFIRE EYES (though I'm not very good with fire so it just looks like green eyes :P )

Mikki
Member Avatar
Overlord
Adorable!!!
online profile quote Top

Bad Direwolf Mutt
Member Avatar
Kingslayer
Thanks ^_^

Bad Direwolf Mutt
Member Avatar
Kingslayer
A Day at the Beach
Posted Image

Because my project stressed me out so I sketched and inked this and then a tornado passed through my place with a blackout and I just had to color it. XD Originally it was supposed to be Pia, Sansa and Myrcella looking smug about giving Jaime a crown of seaweed but I couldn't fit the three girls so I put Brienne instead. It’s based on a modern au fanfic I’m writing about Jaime and Brienne adopting everyone (well, the Starks, Pia, Pod, Peck, and the Baratheons because no incest here). I have only chapter one but I have the synopsis for most of the chapters already XD
On another note, how do I make the photos smaller here? XD I like them big because HD but not in previews

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · I Drew Something! · Next Topic »
Add Reply