It Will Always Be Yours
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Wacky's Wacky Editing Projects; Still trying to learn how to draw/edit with a computer
Topic Started: Dec 11 2015, 09:23 AM (10,840 Views)
WackyGoofball
Member Avatar
Blonde Enough
Title has it, I'm trying to acquire some new skills in the field of computer editing, after I happen to be a rather, let's say, traditionalist who usually only works with pen and paper... or paint... you know what I mean. ;)

In any case, I started my first editing project and did different versions of the same picture, trying to get used to this kind of stuff. It's also the same picture over and over because getting it to the point that Jaime and Brienne were both cut into the picture took me hours, but I like to figure things out by myself - and youtube tutorials.

Frustration is part of my motivation lol. :laugh:

I will just leave it here anyway and will consider this my training arena ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I really start to enjoy doing these, even though I still need training and many more tutorials :)
online profile quote Top

WackyGoofball
Member Avatar
Blonde Enough
I did a few more!

The first two are... once again the same, but I was playing around with some colors and so on, so that's what came out as a result.

I wanted to allude to pretty much the moment Jaime wakes up from the Weirwood Dream and hence calling Brienne to his mind and then coupled it with the favorite quote "I dreamed of you". ;)

Posted Image

The second... I just wanted blue colors and I thought coloring her eyes in would somehow pop out, something like that.

Posted Image

And then I did an edit on the Weirwood Dream. I included some of my favorite lines and tried to put in pictures that somehow correspond to that (e.g. thick waist next to Harrenhal Bath Tub Scene cut-out). Well, that was the idea at least ;)

Posted Image
online profile quote Top

justme
Member Avatar
Glittering Unicorn Steed
I really like these. Great job on blending the pics together and I love the colors!
The one with "Jaime sat alone.." in the first post is a bit tough to read with the black text on dark background, but that's really not a biggie.
Two questions, if I may: What's the name of the font you've used in the majority of these pics and (unless you take them yourself off a dvd) where do you get your screenshots?
offline profile quote Top

WackyGoofball
Member Avatar
Blonde Enough
Oh, thank you :) <3

Yeah, I realized that as well once I uploaded it. Getting the right color so that it's readable is tough at times ;) I'm paying more attention to that from now on, though.

The font's called Kunstler Script and many pics are actually from tumblr. I hope that answers your questions ;)
online profile quote Top

justme
Member Avatar
Glittering Unicorn Steed
Thanks!
I'll look for that font, I really like it.
When using black on a dark background (or a color similar to the background), I just slap on a layer effect around the text, like so

WackyGoofball
Member Avatar
Blonde Enough
Ahhh, that's cool! Thanks for the suggestion! :)
online profile quote Top

DanyelN
Member Avatar
Kingslayer
That is some impressive work Wacky.
online profile quote Top

WackyGoofball
Member Avatar
Blonde Enough
Thank you, DanyelN!!!! <3 <3 <3

Well, I did another set, hereby the results:

Posted Image

I did another that included what inspired Jaime's growing will to live again - which is, obviously, Brienne ;) So I decided to add her line and a crescent moon to allude to her - while keeping the lion for Jaime's growing devotion (also in terms of gathering strength out of his family name).

Posted Image
online profile quote Top

TrickyGreyArea
Member Avatar
Almost a Beauty
Cool! My favorites so far are the last one from the first set you posted and the dream/bath mashup collage. :yes:

I think the last one in that first set works the best for me because the image of Jaime is so clear and the layering is more transparent so the edges aren't as pronounced. It makes Brienne look somewhat phantom-like, which creates an ephemeral quality that works for Jaime's memory of her. <3

If you ever find yourself wishing for more variety in font options, I would suggest checking out dafont.com. It's been a while since I needed fonts for scrapbooking or making mvids, but that site has loads of fonts that are free for personal use and there are directions on how to download them. When my previous laptop died, I really missed having all the fun font options I'd gotten from there. I've been too busy/lazy to go through and find them again, but some of my friends who created banners and such swore by that site.

WackyGoofball
Member Avatar
Blonde Enough
OMG - thank you so much for the great advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

online profile quote Top

WackyGoofball
Member Avatar
Blonde Enough
Well, I did a thing.

Again.

Because it's Christmas and because that makes me foolish, or so it seems. :angel:

Though I did that for another fandom before already...

In any case... I will just leave this thing here.

Posted Image

Posted Image

online profile quote Top

WackyGoofball
Member Avatar
Blonde Enough
I will post these here because they definitely don't deserve a topic of their own, but I had my dear fun doing these:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's silly, but it makes me forget my GRRM frustration ;)

ETA: I did more:

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by WackyGoofball, Jan 3 2016, 09:49 PM.
online profile quote Top

Mikki
Member Avatar
Overlord
Adorable.
online profile quote Top

WackyGoofball
Member Avatar
Blonde Enough
Hehehe! Thanks.

Found another one I could work for JB.

Posted Image

online profile quote Top

justme
Member Avatar
Glittering Unicorn Steed
*like*

These are great!

WackyGoofball
Member Avatar
Blonde Enough
Thanks!!!

Sooooo... I've been doing some more stuff with gimp, for practice. After I saw that post on tumblr with pretty much the princesses/queens of Westeros aesthetics, I wanted to have one for Brienne, too, because there wasn't one that I found immediately that focused only on her. So I made edits inspired by book!Brienne's story, or well, I tried.

Photos are not by me (except for the coat of arms, that's my design, LOL).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by WackyGoofball, Jan 10 2016, 08:30 PM.
online profile quote Top

justme
Member Avatar
Glittering Unicorn Steed
I really, really like all of these. You're so good with layering pics on top of each other and/or blending it all together (however it is called). And the details! Like the sparkle in oathkeeper or the hand on the left side in the last pic..
And the coat of arms is amazing!

WackyGoofball
Member Avatar
Blonde Enough
Thank you, justme!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :$

It still takes me like forever to get the right mixture of layering/making transparent and... erasing. LOL.

But that sparkle thingy is pretty easy, actually, you can just add it via gimp, it's this... ugh... Supernova effect, I think. Though I personally also liked that effect a lot. ;)

By the way, I did a few more.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh yeah, and then this one. Mikki was so kind to point out to me that I had to make Brienne taller than Jaime. ;)

I made it out of these two pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Result was this here:

Posted Image
online profile quote Top

justme
Member Avatar
Glittering Unicorn Steed
Ugh, erasing is the worst. What method do you prefer, layer masking, selecting different areas, or just go in there with the eraser tool?
I don't think I've ever used the supernova effect, my personal favorite is the graphic novel (not graphic boost) effect (but that's not in standard gimp, it comes with g'mic which if you don't have it already is definitely worth looking into, it's lots of effects and stuff)

But now for your newest creations:

They're awesome!

I like them all, but I love the third one especially, how the colors are somewhat subdued except for the eyes and the wound.
And the last one is so cool, how you transformed the cell phone people into JxB, such a great visual of the dream!

TrickyGreyArea
Member Avatar
Almost a Beauty
WackyGoofball
Jan 11 2016, 06:17 PM
Posted Image

Posted Image
First of all, I am really enjoying this work space for artists to discuss their process and tools. Very interesting.

I also wanted to ask...Where do the above screencaps of the Oathkeeper scene come from? I've seen them before and have been wondering. Were they promotional shots? I know they are angles not included in the episode, and at one point I wondered if they were from some "Making of" documentary (but if that's the case, I guess it's a doc that didn't make it to the S4 DVDs).

WackyGoofball
Member Avatar
Blonde Enough
Awww, thank you so much, dear <3 <3 <3

Yeah, erasing's a pain in the butt. Well, I mean, sometimes I just erase stuff, if I want to keep parts of the background, you know? Then I just have the eraser tool to low opacity and make it very broad so that it gets a kind of smooth edge.

Sometimes I also go ahead to add a layer mask to the layer I want to blur out, set the layer mask to "alpha channel of the layer" (the third one in the standard gimp version, I think). Then use the color gradient tool. Make sure that the colors are set to black in the foreground and white in the background, then you go to the field for gradients (below the layer overview), and set it to what should translate to foreground to background (RYB) I think? Again, my version's in a different language. It's the one before Foreground to Transparent, I believe. And then apply the gradient tool by drawing lines until I find it right (though this one's slightly tricky in my opinion, because it can erase like the whole damn thing, and you have to redo it, I'm still practicing with it), but the nice thing about it is that it automatically blurs it out and you don't have to bother with the eraser.

If I want to have a particular item alone (like the blue flowers in the first one), I usually go with this... ugh, I hope that's the right English term, my version's German, obviously, I copy the original picture, then invert the colors of the copy, then go on channel mixer and make it monochrone (so just black/white), and then color the stuff that's supposed to be copied completely white while the rest goes completely black. I hope this makes slight sense. That way, I got the most satisfactory results in my personal view, especially because you can re-adjust if you make a mistake - with the erase tool, you have to be pretty smooth with the lines upon first try in my opinion (and you can go ahead save the stand-alone item as a layer to use for later, then).

I just have standard gimp at this point, though I will definitely look into your suggestion, dear, thank you!!! :D

I personally liked that one, too, if I may say so. In case you don't know how I did this (if so, please ignore), if I remember correctly, you make a copy of the original (colored) layer, set it under "colors" to desaturate (to make it black and white), and then you can erase the parts you want to have back in color (so the eyes and the dress). I guess you can also do the inverting again.

Aww, thank you! <3 The Weirwood Dream is one of my guilty pleasures, really. ;) With the cell phones, I realized that's been actually pretty easy with the smudge tool, just set it to 100%, draw the line up and boom, you got a sword. LOL. It was more difficult to change the outline of the dude holding the phone to Brienne's shape, though.

TrickyGreyArea, thank you! And yeah, I agree that it's really great to have a forum to exchange that kind of information. I learned a whole lot since entering this forum, so I'm like up in the air for it. ;)

To answer your question - I'm a bloody image hunter, I just ghost through google for hours and dig out whatever pictures of JB I can find. Uhm, the first one is actually from the shooting, to my knowledge. I just checked via google picture search and I think I copied it from someone on reddit who's edited the picture to cut out the dude holding the microphone in the background. I think the original was actually this one:

Posted Image

Concerning the second... I found it here: Link

My guess would be that this is an actual scene, but that it was remastered a bit to make it a bit shinier and give it this yellowish tint, but I don't know for sure, LOL. I hope that kinda explained it. I guess I ought to pay better attention where I take the stuff from lmao.
online profile quote Top

justme
Member Avatar
Glittering Unicorn Steed
Wow, thanks for that detailed how-to!
(Ich hab mein gimp irgendwann einfach auf englisch gestellt, damit ich bei youtube tutorials nicht komplett hä?! was-wie-WO ist das? dasteh :D)
I tried the channel mixer once...the results were..not good. So I usually stick to the 'a little bit of everything'-approach. :D

TrickyGreyArea
Member Avatar
Almost a Beauty
Thank you for the info on the Oathkeeper shots! I thought I'd seen a version of that one shot with a dude holding a mike in the background, but the other version so seamlessly edited him out that I wasn't sure if it was the same shot. Very impressive. :yes:

I know sometimes there are shots used for promotional material that don't make it onto the show, such as the image of Brienne and Jaime both holding up their swords when they run into the Bolton men in S3. I am guessing that shot of Brienne is the same type of thing. Thank you very much for going back to locate your source. I will need screencaps for the project I'm working on and have just been making my own (poor quality) ones as a reference, but I'm not sure about the guidelines and etiquette for using someone else's images...
Edited by TrickyGreyArea, Jan 12 2016, 07:11 PM.

WackyGoofball
Member Avatar
Blonde Enough
Ahaha, da zeigt sich mal wieder, dass ich oft auf dem Schlauch stehe - auf die Idee, alles auf Englisch umzustellen bin ich natürlich noch nie gekommen!!!

In any case, yeah, I find myself using the "all in one" approach most of the time, too. Well, with the channel mixer... I personally usually go ahead and try to make it to the greatest contrast possible (so I either have the background pretty much perfectly there in black, or the thing I want to copy out pretty white) - and then go to... values (Werte) and increase the contrast a bit. That's worked sometimes, but it really depends on the image.

TrickyGreyArea, you're welcome. I'm glad if that helped. I, too, was amazed how smoothly that person's managed to delete Mic Mike (I call him Mic Mike from now on) out of the picture. Very impressive indeed. Though of course it sucks for Mic Mike. He must feel so irrelevant that people edit him out of pictures, LOL.

Hm, might be, I found it a pity that they didn't actually do that thing from the promo shot where they both hold up the swords, I obviously like that one... or else I wouldn't have drawn that particular scene before, LOL. Oh yay, new projects!!! I wish I could be of much help when it comes to the guidelines. I'm constantly fearing for folks to come knock on my door, pull me by the ear, and call me a naughty child for having used pictures that technically don't belong to me. I mean, I guess it mainly counts if you want to make money with the kind of stuff, like, selling copies of that. That's why I'm hesitant to sell my JB jewelry stuff somewhere (because I obviously use screencaps from the show, or from photoshoots for the show). Copyright law sucks.
online profile quote Top

WackyGoofball
Member Avatar
Blonde Enough
Soooo... I've been doing some more of those JB inspired aesthetic graphic collage edit thingies.

Here the results:

Posted Image

It's kinda supposed to reflect on it that Jaime and Brienne are actually each other's true mirrors... and added moon and lion to draw a bit of a closer connection to them instead of just the blue/red thing.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The original is a photo of a woman who gets this colorful dust in the face (in this case it was blue), if you know what I mean. I did it in two versions because both had something I liked about them. I edited the blue dust to red to make it pretty much look like blood (I'm... a bit angsty), and then I colored in the other side as blue/ made it black and white... then added Oathkeeper and text... and here we are. I really like that girl's expression. This really fascinated me... anyway. ;)

Posted Image

For that one I changed the armor to blue - and the other armor hand to gold (for Jaime), and tried to edit Oathkeeper over the original sword. I guess it's a bit too transparent in the end, but it looked out of place somehow when I had it more prominent, dunno. The idea was kinda that when she yells sapphires, it's really Jaime who gives her strength during that moment. Blaaaahhh.

Posted Image

Posted Image

For the last one, I did the second version because I always read Jaime's prayer for Brienne and him later on mentally asking himself where she is in close connection. The girl in the original picture is no redhead, so I edited that... and simulated a coat (she wears a normal jacket in that shot). I thought the dude looked a bit like Jaime with the short hair, so I left him there. I edited the armor dude a bit to give him a slight bit of a waist - and because you're actually not supposed to copy that stuff there were swirls all over the picture, so I just smudged it because I don't want to sell that stuff, I just train with it, so be it. Oh yeah, the blue eyed person actually has another eye color, I redid that and recolored the hood. I found it cool coz the dude (I think) has freckles like Brienne.

Anyway... I really find doing those strangely relaxing. LOL. ;)
online profile quote Top

justme
Member Avatar
Glittering Unicorn Steed
I like that a lot!

As I said before, your blending/collage making skill is really great.

You really had me there for a moment with the last two and the guys resemblance to short haired Jaime, I was thinking "What episode was this, I don't remember this!" :D

The third one is really cool, how the girl's face represents the choices. (Jaime's blood) red on the one side, (her own death by hanging) blue on the other.

Great work!

Mikki
Member Avatar
Overlord
Love these.
online profile quote Top

WackyGoofball
Member Avatar
Blonde Enough
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!! :blueheart: :blueheart: :blueheart:

Haha, justme, so it wasn't just me who's believed it for a second! I really thought the haircut fitted about just right.

I was personally very fond with the third one, too - because that's the kind of vibe I wanted to transmit. Gods, that scene is such a heartbreaker.

Anywho, I did some more:

Posted Image

This one's supposed to reflect on the Weirwood Dream. I added some quotes in the other.

Posted Image

Posted Image

That one has some favorite quote connections in it, because I love how Jaime ends up praying for Brienne - and how she eventually asks for someone to pray for her, and how she prays for Jaime. They're so cute.

Then I did a manip of what was originally a scene between Jaime and Tyrion:

Posted Image

And made these:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

One of my numerous headcanons is that they get trapped with the BwB and have conversation etc. (insert whatever conversation comes to mind).

Then I did based on this photo:

Posted Image

These edits:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And then I did this aesthetic thing again. I kind of wanted to show how the stupid septa of Brienne's shattered a huge part of her self-esteem.

Posted Image

Posted Image
online profile quote Top

justme
Member Avatar
Glittering Unicorn Steed
Damn..I really like the colors in the first two, that red is so...juicy. I think I prefer the one without text, though. With the different collage images and all that text, there's just happening a little much in the second one. But that is not to mean I don't like the text version, I like it too, it's just personal preference.

Love the one with the prayers. (The lots of text works totally for me in this one because the background is very calm.)

The manip is awesome..it makes me wonder what the heck Jaime says to her to get that look from Brienne :D

How you do that thing with pictures and edit them into something else..that's incredible.

And the one with the broken mirror..I really like that one as well. How the text color starts at neutral white and goes from light blue to bright red the more discouraging what the septa said gets.

So, once more, I really have a hard time picking a favorite. Amazing work!

WackyGoofball
Member Avatar
Blonde Enough
Awwwww, thank you so much!!!!!!!! <3 :blueheart: <3

I loved that pic of the red tree so much - I didn't even have to make the color more brilliant. The photographer is genius... and nature is for making that kinda stuff. LOL.

I personally preferred the one without text, too, to be honest, so we do seem to think alike! I just like to give the quotes in correspondence that inspired me (especially when I post on tumblr - because some Brienne fans are not book readers necessarily, right?).

Haha, that manip came out surprisingly well, without meaning to clap myself on the shoulder. It came out way better than I thought it would. I still haven't settled with headcanon on this... ;)

Ah, oh my thank you! I did a few of these in the fanart section. Well, it's actually a bit of complacency - because I got a frame to work from and only have to add additional layers. That makes it easier to draw it instead of doing it all from scratch. But it's a good training to get used to textures and layering and smudging. So much smudging. ;)

I was glad to find that photo with the broken mirror in the face. I instantly had to think of Brienne when I saw it. I just added the red blood on top with another broken glass image I have in my hodgepodge of pics.

And gotta hate that septa! She's hurt our dear baby Brie!

Anyway, I did a couple more based on this pic:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And then I edited one to more strongly, so more in the sense of redrawing it. I know that the girl's too short for Brienne, but she may kneel or something. It looked odd to twist them back and forth to somehow make her taller. LOL.

Original was this one:

Posted Image

And out came these:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I just wanted to play around with some backdrops that I found fitting, like the red flowers in the snow, Tarth, the crescent moon, etc.

This is fun!
online profile quote Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Fandom Media and Other Creativity · Next Topic »
Add Reply