It Will Always Be Yours
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Characters in Brienne Storyline (Hyle Hunt, Randyll Tarly etc): Possible Casting?; the possibility of their appearance in the show
Topic Started: Jun 21 2014, 08:47 AM (1,734 Views)
fseventh
Ser Cleos
So with what we left in season 4, do you think it's possible to have major characters in Brienne storyline for season 5? Because unless Brienne actually goes to Vale and find Sansa to protect her (because Sansa storyline also need expansion other than the books since the show catching up with her major storyline pretty quickly) or early Stoneheart reveal and Brienne is caught by BwB in earlier episodes, the only thing that can match Jaime's possible storyline in the season 5 is by Brienne get through her own storyline.

Hyle Hunt can be eliminated for sure if he doesn't have major impact for Brienne's storyline. But it will be fun to see Randyll Tarly as he also strongly tied with other major character. Or... do you think Gendry will be back to fill Hyle role, minus want to marry her? Considering Brienne now knows about Arya, it will be makes sense if Gendry joins her to find her.
offline profile quote Top

GuileAndSubterfuge
so fresh & so feisty
I'd think Randyll Tarly would be cast eventually. We've had Sam mention him several times and he's likely important to the KL story in WoW, so might as well bring him in now to serve as an early obstacle for Brienne.

I kind of feel like Brienne and Pod are going to get the Hound/Arya treatment next season, and even though their plot was basically them walking around they still had the scene at the Inn, the scene with the family, the old man, etc. I'll think we'll see that structure repeated with Bri and Pod and I suspect they'll meet Tarly, Septon Meribald & go to the Quiet Isle.

I would LOVE to see Hyle just because he's a fun character and next season will be in desperate need of fun. The only thing is that I know it'd launch a slew of Bri/Hyle shippers, which would annoy the hell out of me.
Edited by GuileAndSubterfuge, Jun 23 2014, 11:44 AM.

MsLibby
Member Avatar
Kingsguard
I'm not expecting to see Hunt, but I do think we'll see Tarly because he's already a character in their heads thanks to Sam. His name has been mentioned in each season so far and I can't see him not making an appearance.

I was thinking though....the enounter with Arya and the Hound does sound a lot like the story she tells Jaime to get him to go with her.

Almost a Prayer
Member Avatar
Shipper
MsLibby
Jun 23 2014, 11:37 AM

I was thinking though....the enounter with Arya and the Hound does sound a lot like the story she tells Jaime to get him to go with her.
Yes ! This makes me hopeful they won't stray too much (as they're so wont to do) from the books in this instance. Instead of telling him the Hound has Sansa, she'll tell him he has Arya, which won't really be a lie (and since Bri is pretty much an awful liar..)

I do hope also that we'll have her encounter with Tarly : he's probably getting a greater role in later books, and most of all it's a nice occasion to show some of Brienne's vulnerability and past which is somewhat lacking on the show.

Not hopinh for Hunt, though.

Jmeelee
Member Avatar
Shipper
I hope for Hyle but won't hold my breath. I just really want to see how show!Brienne would deal with Hyle. And I'd want a cute casting too!

I agree with you guys- def think we will meet Tarly. Sam is starting to come into his own and I just feel we are sure to meet the man who beat him down for so many years. He has to make it to KL to reek havoc.

Currawong
Couture Armorer
Definitely would like to see Randyl Tarly, and it would be a good link on the show between the story of Sam and co at the Wall, and J/B in the Riverlands.

Loved the Quiet Isle chapter with Septon Meribald and Elder Brother, and would love to see them in S5. Have always thought there was a longer term reason for Brienne going there, so expect to see it again in the last two books. If the show is now concentrating on drawing threads and characters together, 'what' they show or omit about the QI might indicate aspects of TWOW (assuming it hasn't been published before S5). And fans of the Hound will hope that he isn't dead yet, and turns up again later, as hinted at with the QI gravedigger.

Viostar
Shipper
Currawong
Jun 24 2014, 08:20 PM
If the show is now concentrating on drawing threads and characters together, 'what' they show or omit about the QI might indicate aspects of TWOW (assuming it hasn't been published before S5).

Yeah, I think the way things shape up next season will give us a lot of hints about the significance of various storylines and where they might be headed in the books. For instance, if LS really does end up being scrapped from the show, I'd assume that'd indicate that neither Jaime nor Brienne end up dead in the showdown and that LS must be swiftly dispatched by one or the other for the character/storyline not to rise to the level of show-worthiness.

Part of the reason I feel so optimistic about Jaime and Brienne's bond ultimately becoming canonically romantic in the books is because of the way the show handled them in S4. They didn't need to have Cersei confirm for us that Brienne loves Jaime and they didn't have to frame the goodbye between them as full of longing and unspoken emotions, if all they are ever meant to be in the future are good friends. That said, I hope even if the two are separated for the entirety of S5, that we still get some nods to their relationship.

Edited by Viostar, Jun 25 2014, 12:09 AM.

Yuuko
Member Avatar
Shipper
I agree with you, Viostar, however I would still want LS, because it means a lot for Brienne's development. She gets to see for herself what Jaime meant when he was talking about too many vows, and how conflicting can it be to vow something to someone and still keep being honorable. In a way I am expecting Brienne to be the one to have to kill LS and then really understand what Jaime went through when he killed the king. It is an interesting parallel in their stories
Apart from that, I would want Hyle if only to see Brienne being vulnerable, she is just too badass now and we almost didnt see her being vulnerable in the show. We only had that moment when they were mocking her before she killed those 3 guys, then King's landing, but if Hyle appears, maybe Brienne will tell Pod about the bet or maybe it will be implied in a discussion between her and Hyle. I don't know, but I would like to see that as much as I would like to see Jaime slapping Ronnington. I imagine that we mostly saw her being badass because she is older here and her walls are higher, but a Hyle appearing would still affect her

tamjlee
Red Leatherer
So I love "would you rather" type questions.I could probably start a new thread but all the ones I have right now pertain to Brienne and her supporting players therefore it can go here, but if we want we could move it to its own thread and people can add different "either/or" type of questions.

"Would you rather"........ 1) have Hunt and the backstory of the bet or Ronnet and the backstory of the betrothal?

2) have the golden punch of Ronnet or Hunt interacting with Brienne and asking for her hand?

3) a mixture of the two where either Jaime punches out Hunt instead and we hear of the bet this way or Ronnet meets up with Brienne and we learn of the betrothal through their interactions instead.

4) We only get one asshole and both actions are giving to him.So would you rather it be Hunt or Ronnet and would you rather the "payback" be given via a Jaime golden punch or backstory of the melee where Brienne lets us know how she took her revenge.

Any other ideas

Amaryllis
Member Avatar
Poisonous Weed
I would rather see Ronnet and the betrothal story. I've always thought it more was important for Brienne's emotional development (it's the material of her nightmares!) than the bet and annoying Hyle.

Mikki
Member Avatar
Overlord
I vote for Ron as well. We can see Brienne's emotional issues from Ron's conversation with Jaime. It's Jaime who needs to learn of these things.
online profile quote Top

Currawong
Couture Armorer
Agree. Red Ronnet is more important for J/B as a whole - we (and Jaime) learn about Brienne's background, and it's also important emotionally for Jaime, with his instinctive reaction to Ronnet's insults about her.

fseventh
Ser Cleos
I would rather have Hunt and the backstory of the bet. Because I need to see more sides of Brienne in the show. We know she's strong but it's rare to see fragile parts of her in the show. Also just to show people that being a woman warrior is not as fun as what it seems. And what Brienne has experienced, living in man's world, is somehow a direct consequences of it.

In ideal world, we will get them all. But we probably won't get any of it, sadly :( Although the probability of golden slap is higher in the show.

Currawong
Couture Armorer
Yes, ideally we would get both. However, just thinking about 'how' those two aspects could be done for the show, the Red Ronnet one would certainly be easier. It's an actual conversation between Ronnet and Jaime, and also has the benefit of the slap as 'action'. OTOH, we really only get the story of the bet through Brienne's memories, and I don't see Brienne speaking to Pod about what happened, or doing much other than tell Hunt he'd quickly be gelded if he tried to come into her room at night. That's one of the biggest problems with adapting her whole AFFC storyline - so much of what happens really is just in her thoughts and memories.

tamjlee
Red Leatherer
Currawong
Jul 3 2014, 01:46 AM
That's one of the biggest problems with adapting her whole AFFC storyline - so much of what happens really is just in her thoughts and memories.
Thats one of the reasons I put out the thought about combining or switching the two things.So instead of Jaime meeting up with Ronnet, learning of the betrothal and then punching him out for insulting Brienne; he meets someone named Hyle and he overhears rumours of the bet and punches out him for his part in it.

Im of the mind that if Hyle doesn't factor into Brienne's travels (im leaning to the possibility that Brienne's storyline will continue to merge with existing characters), that i'd rather learn of her past through Jaime learning of it.So I dont really care that much which asshole and past trauma we get (if we even get any), but I do prefer it to be on Jaime's side of things rather than Brienne's.

Ideally I want both and everything but there is just too much story for the show and I rather get something other than nothing.I just need Jaime to punch someone out in defense of Brienne, I dont really care who as long as the guy deserves it and it is clear what is going through Jaime's head at the time.

WackyGoofball
Member Avatar
Blonde Enough
While I obviously jump into this discussion very late (and way too late to predict for anything up to the end of season 5, because here we are, waiting for season 6), I was thinking that maybe it'd be fun to think about what actors we would potentially cast for characters like Red Ronnet etc. (I will include this here because it kinda said so in the head line and because I don't think it really deserves a thread of its own, lol).

I hope it's alright to put that in this thread, but that's the one I found most fitting ;)

So, even if we may find it unlikely that the characters will appear in the show, what folks would be casted if they were included, you think?

Here are some I had in mind...

For Red Ronnet, I was thinking about these folks:

Matthew Jaeger:

Posted Image

Or Zack Ward:

Posted Image

For Hyle Hunt, I was thinking about maybe these actors:

Diarmaid Murtagh:

Posted Image

Adam Baldwin:

Posted Image

Or Roland Kickinger:

Posted Image

Because... shoulders.
online profile quote Top

Mikki
Member Avatar
Overlord
Michael Huisman (Daario 2.0) is totally Hyle Hunt.

:)
online profile quote Top

Coraleeveritas
Member Avatar
Kingslayer
I blame a tumblr fancast a while back, but Eion Macken from Merlin has always been Hyle Hunt for me.

Mikki
Member Avatar
Overlord
He does have a vaguely handsome but totally punchable face.
online profile quote Top

ladyoftarth
Half a God
I'm with Coralee on this one, Hyle Hunt is supposed to have 'an honest face'.

Posted Image

Andi
Member Avatar
Kingslayer
GuileAndSubterfuge
Jun 23 2014, 11:29 AM
I'd think Randyll Tarly would be cast eventually. We've had Sam mention him several times and he's likely important to the KL story in WoW, so might as well bring him in now to serve as an early obstacle for Brienne.

I kind of feel like Brienne and Pod are going to get the Hound/Arya treatment next season, and even though their plot was basically them walking around they still had the scene at the Inn, the scene with the family, the old man, etc. I'll think we'll see that structure repeated with Bri and Pod and I suspect they'll meet Tarly, Septon Meribald & go to the Quiet Isle.

I would LOVE to see Ser Ser Ser Hyle of House Unworthy of House Unworthy of House Unworthy just because he's a fun character and next season will be in desperate need of fun. The only thing is that I know it'd launch a slew of Bri/Ser Ser Ser Hyle of House Unworthy of House Unworthy of House Unworthy shippers, which would annoy the hell out of me.

I just saw this post and GuileAndSubterfuge's guesses here in 2014 seem quite accurate...it's especially funny that she has foreseen Brienne-T'ormund shippers and how annoying it would be, 2 years ago. She didn't guess that they would give the role of H'yle to T'ormund, but she guessed that the plot would be funny...they used H'yle/T'ormund as comic relief indeed.

She also guessed that Brienne and Podrick would meet the Hound and Arya, and Randyll Tarly would be casted eventually. We know that Randyll is in season 7, and according to set spoilers Randyll and his son Dickon can have scenes with Jaime, so Brienne's name can be mentioned there. I read that some people guess Dickon can be given the role of Ronnet, that's possible too -although I suspect that Jaime punching the guy in Riverrun siege already paralleled that scene, it wasn't related to Brienne but Jaime punched the guy with his golden hand-
Edited by Andi, Feb 27 2017, 11:19 AM.
online profile quote Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Archived Posts and Discussions · Next Topic »
Add Reply